Re: Global Digital Compact – Thematic Deep-Dive Internet Governance 13 April

Hi Paul,

I encourage you to join the https://www.w3.org/community/humancentricai/ so
that we can work through the implications of some of these issues that are
less likely to be canvassed in a way that you're - remarkably well equipped
- to support...

On Fri, 7 Apr 2023 at 19:40, Paul Werbos <pwerbos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Tim!
>
> This week I was reminded of a terrible paradox. We desperately need the
> new type of Quantum AGI which I defined at WCCI2022 (attached), but if such
> power is deployed BEFORE other crucial requirements for sustainable
> intelligent internet, it could give too much power to people unable to use
> it well.

It would be good if you were able to provide a brief on your vision of a
Sustainable Intelligent Internet, and related considerations...

Q: Is it reasonable to assume that the designs intend to employ IPv6 &
related existing, emerging and future components?

I have assumed that the emerging / emergent work on the 'sii' layers, do
employ IPv6.

     Since the Chinese do know about this, and Xi JinPing personally called
> for open transparent joint development of new tools to prevent backdoors
> both in software and in hardware, I was hoping they could create a
> foundation soon for avoiding the worst. But the latest announcements cast
> great doubt on his interest in continuing a cooperative approach.. New
> development of this specific technology in the west then becomes urgent and
> essential, to prevent a gross instability in the balance of power. Your
> emphasis on key pieces of technology for "networks of truth" is more
> important than I appreciated even last week.

So,

Whilst part of the express purpose of the W3C HumanCentricAI (HCAI) CG - is
to support means to foster and develop a comprehension of the
commonalities, and shared requirements to support many different forms /
embodiments of 'Human Centric AI' systems - as well as being able to
clearly distinguish HCAI ecologies / ecosystems, from other forms of AI,
information/knowledge management topologies / ideologies,

i do have some views.

Principally, part of the security fabric believed to be required - is to
create an endification fabric, that employs an array of cryptographic
instruments; with 'semantics', and various other tooling, to support means
through which the causal implications / consequences, of what it is that
human beings do, both as individuals and as members of groups; engaged in
activities relating to tools, legal, software, physical and otherwise - is
able to be made associatively governable, in ways that employ
spatio-temporal relations amongst the many other things; as to support
root-cause analysis, and various other characteristics - leading to
attribution, to natural persons, etc...

My works / considerations in these areas, has been on-going over many
years, and tooling has been produced to support means to apply these sorts
of solutions, although not entirely finished; and i'm not sure what parts
are specific to a particular type of implementation, vs. what
constituencies are necessarily shared as a component of future w3c (perhaps
also ISOC related) derivatives.  There's a process of canvassing, and
providing support for bringing together a 'meeting of minds', to establish
the foundational - 'common-sense' requirements needed, to have a more
capable discussion about how solutions might be made to actualise some of
these opportunities / risk mitigation / safety protocol related, future
capabilities, whilst requiring a safe environment to do so (ie: so that
unintended yet more 'commercial' opportunistic potential, doesn't act to
undermine the ability to at least, deliver diversity of solutions available
for people),

Which, forming the W3C HCAI CG - is now considered to be a milestone, for
important yet often not well understood - field of endeavour / work, in a
world that is filled with many convincing proclamations, that are
nonetheless knowingly forms of 'confusion apparatus', not really part of a
formally mediated 'reality check tech' fabric, whilst embattled by the
legacy tech-debt implications, that have manifested as a consequence of our
choices & priorities.  the things that have been done, and the
circumstances whereby other forms of tooling remains absent.

So...  in summary.  I think we need to support quorum and discussion,
encouraging people to share their views, concerns, ideals, objectives -
stuff, that we can build a shared-values based ecology for the production
of derivatives via a community of practice, and interoperability with
others of different ideals; on a best efforts basis, as to seek to address
some of these sorts of very important areas of concern, for all people...
Yet also, again, being associative (rather than more simply, dissociative -
as is linked with medical conditions referred to as DID, etc.); i am
personally, more concerned about the issues that appear to exist whereby
the tooling required to support systems of democracy, and other human
rights related considerations, now seemingly still - requiring a great deal
of work.  Whilst i respect and support the cultures of people in all
places, it is nonetheless a matter of fact - that different systems of
government, to be ruled by law, and - again - the various other
considerations made by the instruments produced in a manner that seeks to
provide universally accepted articulations of values; that the tooling
required to support systems of democracy, is not seemingly adequately
addressed at this stage...  which is not to suggest that fair-dealings,
fair-terms, and various other implications would not materially benefit
people engaging with one-another fairly, on a best efforts basis - with
issues that will always arise, but that are also of instrumental
distinction to acts of a malicious nature or intent to harm, act unlawfully
(whether in relation to laws associated to peace, or law of war);
understanding also, that AI systems give rise to emerging problems, not
previously considered or translated from texts that were often produced,
before broadband...  that part of what i think we need to process and then
define a tactical method to produce specific tooling to address, in my mind
needs to pay particular attention to the special needs of liberalised
democracies.  I found this interview with Henry Kissinger[1], insightful.
am aware that a book has recently been published[2] which is referred to in
this article on time[3], but i haven't had time to get through it - indeed,
there are various 'temporal challenges', and it would be impossible for me
to get through all of the very good materials, including but not limited to
books; as such, some way of fostering a method for us to benefit from the
traits of wisdom of one-another that we may usefully share to figure out
how to address some very significant problems, in a circumstance that - i
feel - puts alot of important considerations, in an unfavourable position,
now.

I hope that the outcome will be that there is at least the option - to
employ 'human centric ai' systems, that have safety protocols, such as to
ensure people aren't required to decide the provider of their mindware for
their lives, perhaps - from birth!?! Personally, i don't know how
information is extracted from a LLM if someone wants to migrate their -
lives - elsewhere, as such, i am not sure whether or not systems today have
been built without a means to migrate away from it... far more 'sticky'
than a free email address...  but these, and various other potentialities -
still need to be canvassed at this stage, afaik; and part of the problem is
likely to be that many may not be aware of other options that are less
developed than other well-known examples of today.

therein also - re: human rights instruments[4] note that i've processed
some of them into a table (google sheet)[5] changing some of the text, to
refer the intended useful employment of those instruments to refer to terms
between one-another; rather than, declarations and/or conventions -
associated with representatives of states, in the quorum of the United
Nations, etc...

therein, it might be useful to review some of the sentiments and statements
expressed by these documents, as a means to consider how complex
ontological derivatives might be produced; as to make useful employment of
these remarkable, historical works; in ways, that is seemingly considered
at this stage, novel, and therefore difficult to understand[6]; one might
assume, not because there is serious disagreement about the useful value
and importance of the texts of these articles / documents, values and
innate, 'inalienable rights' as have been written down.

Finally also, this sheet on different types of 'artificial minds'[7], is
intended to be usefully employed to support the exercise and
communicability, of seeking to better define what sorts of 'artificial
minds' / robots - it is that people want to make, what sorts of qualities
do they want to create, and what are the sorts of characteristics and/or
designs that they do not want, not for them, not for others and not as may
otherwise be involuntarily applied upon the lives of their children...
these sorts of considerations, are not merely of importance for the
developed world, where people have energy and may for the vast majority of
their life, have the capacity to own and operate their own computer.
rather, the designs for the developing world, empowered by technology for
the public good[8] - which is a worthy and important pursuit i've been
doing my very best to support for many years;  i made a note about 'digital
slavery'[9], but it does not yet go into sufficient detail - and that
method is considered to be sub-optimal.  in anycase, as learning /
community 'digital hubs'[10] (somewhat an extension of what i earlier
called 'knowledge banks') are created - what are the requirements to keep
people safe; both, during times of peace, and in circumstances of serious
jeporody, inncluding but not limited to - the needs of refugees.  Whilst
there are meaningful and as yet unresponded to issues relating to the
experiences of people who are not accused of any crime, and should
otherwise be considered 'free', etc...  still requiring support for human
rights, rule of law, etc...

given that this apparatus is seemingly not as well developed as we might
consider to be better - in future - perhaps the area of greater urgency, is
to define what the requirements might be, as could be a topic of discussion
at the GDC (per below), etc.  to ensure support for prisoners[11], as even
prisoners have human rights[12] (and i've since learned also, that often
people who are subject to criminal sentences often lose all of their online
information, which is similar yet also more significant, than the issue of
'facebook prison' or similar; alongside other issues, i'd not previously
considered); which really requires an interoperability solution, that i
suspect is likely to be built around the work done on the W3C works known
as Solid, whilst only speculating at this stage...  It seems work is moving
very quickly in some areas; whilst some of the foundational and material
areas of concern are now perhaps - only just starting...

i don't have alot of resources, and am making best efforts...  but as
noted, i encourage you to get involved and encourage others to do so.  At
maturity, the solutions that W3C is the appropriate venue to support, will
only be a constituency of far broader requirements.  IMO: The first step,
is to make best efforts to bring people together, as to resource the
foundations with the best possible form of quorum we're able to muster,
then we'll need to figure out the charter for the group, which will involve
works to define what we want Human Centric AI to mean.  This initial
process, is how credentials was first established[13] leading to additional
efforts via UN[14][15][16] which i did try to make notes to better
support[17]; and, consequentially now thereafter, as is amongst the
instrumental tooling, leading to what is being progressed now[18][19][8] -
which sadly, do not appear to address some of the very important concerns
you have raised, as the means to ensure support for both 'mainframe' and
inter-personal computing[20] systems, now reaches a new, fairly epic
stage..

> But who in the west has a base for the actual core QAGI hardware tasks?

i'm not sure.  but i signed the open letter[21] and rather than simply
focusing on my own implementation, as i started coding last year[22][23], i
have prioritised the work needed, to support human rights - not simply by
me implementing in my specific implementation, but rather - seeking to
support good entity-relations[6] and in-turn also, safety protocols; which
started with the 'web civics' Human Centric AI[24] work, that in-turn led
to forming https://www.w3.org/community/humancentricai/

The business systems, to support people who are focused on ensuring that
they act honourably, as to support values / good moral hygiene, are very
poorly supported by comparison to the more practical implications
associated with the - somewhat reasonable - examples, provided by others
who more simply focus on ensuring that they're paid, so they can support
their basic needs, and those of their children, etc...   its not like that,
when you work to do the work, to ensure support for - moral hygiene,
in-effect, and there's some very big questions that are raised, when
seeking to address some of these issues, such as to ensure that people are
paid fairly for good & useful work, how can digital slavery be
addressed[9], particularly if the mere idea of a discussion about it - is
considered by others to be defined as 'out of scope'...  these issues are
not simple.  the implementation of hardware, that you refer to, empowers
these business systems, as they are, based on what is functioning - not, in
relation to semantics that might be within the hands, hearts and minds of
people[25], without evidence of it being considered important, as
demonstrated by the information consumed by these agents to define what we
materially, in actuality - value, and what we do not, as was in-effect the
topic curated in www2017[26] leading to the video[25], but seemingly -
despite being told otherwise, by so many - wasn't - all being done already,
they must not have 'known it all', because if they did, then the
intepretation of my experiences, like the one that i found so overwhelming,
at WSIS2023[6], to support the peace infrastructure project[27],
incorporating considerations far beyond those i presented in 2016 about my
works on seeking to better attend to the 'consciousness algorithm'[28],
provide work, as to deliver derivative apparatus that supports
consciousness[29] and addresses the complexities associated with issues
such as various forms of digital (ai) slavery...  but regardless of my
conscious experience as an observer,

our objective (rather than subjective) circumstances  / 'common-sense'
situational awareness position - as a manifest consequence of the what has
been done, and what has not been done, in my view leads to circumstance
where there is now alot of very important work, at least, in my opinion,
that could and should be done - honourably, on a best efforts basis, to
deliver fit-for-purpose tooling, asap.

“the distinction between reality and our knowledge of reality, between
reality and information, cannot be made” Anton Zeilinger
<https://www.nature.com/articles/438743a>

I wrote about how to define an AI Weapon in 2015[30], and maybe that's what
has been made; whilst other things that could be made, like touch-screen
voting machines, that print votes for counting whilst also logging the
votes electronically for election night announcements[31] - well, afaik,
they haven't been made; alongside the list of other things that haven't
been made.

preserving freedom of thought[32] as noted some years ago, may well be at
jeopardy - but as henry strapp said, its about what we focus our attention
on[33], and whilst not all people may want it - much as is the case when
people decide if they want a computing system that runs linux, windows,
OSX, etc...  but one might hope, that now more than 75 years on[34] the
idea of building knowledge system, even if its just to protect the selfish
from the possibility that they would otherwise lack the sense-making /
situational awareness required, to identify or be aware of AI / AGI
engendered attacks - one might hope, that at some stage - the reason why
these sorts of options are important, will become better understood by
others - hopefully, peacefully...

but either way, the creation of the W3C HCAI / Human Centric AI (noting,
there is also 'human centered ai', which I consider to be different) CG; -
is a step in the right direction.

> Best regards, Paul

Ditto, with much thanks.  Long email, but I hope it helps...

best wishes,

Faithfully,

Timothy Holborn.

[1]
https://www.chathamhouse.org/events/all/members-event/future-liberal-democracies-conversation-henry-kissinger
[2] https://www.amazon.com.au/Age-AI-Our-Human-Future/dp/0316273805
[3] https://time.com/6113393/eric-schmidt-henry-kissinger-ai-book/
[4] https://www.ohchr.org/en/instruments-listings
[5]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17WfvOyoVQDv8wwPYroX6xrKLM7n3stD9vFv4rejqmo8/edit#
[6]
https://soundcloud.com/ubiquitous-au/my-question-human-rights-instruments-for-digital-wallets-valuescredentials
[7]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11P5X3al6DlFULOPU3w9-eeoDEyLqYmgqmsDm0U2wgsU/edit#
[8] https://digitalpublicgoods.net/
[9] https://github.com/DPGAlliance/DPG-Standard/issues/167
[10]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D63FlICIOXcnLx_PYs0ByLYvc1B-BXqhhXGdaW_rIMI/edit#
[11]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10exQ8MIJnSWo2YSPJp8gUTpAz1ClcL16RgmrsOiI7uQ/edit#
[12] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRGhrYmUjU4
[13]
https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/2014/08/06/call-for-participation-in-credentials-community-group/
[14] https://web.archive.org/web/20150908003750/https://id2020.org/
[15]  https://web.archive.org/web/20160313103740/http://id2020summit.org
/#speakers
[16]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GZIqlnkTzms3rIFKR18OR6VI-ksQqQGnkC5NKBgwyEw/edit

[17]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GCFSwPPXjyZQukFhMzjGlfP-rSIFRO-nX4CTs6oWZD8/edit?usp=sharing
[18] https://play.itu.int/events/category/wsis-forum-2023/2023-03/
[19]
https://play.itu.int/event/wsis-forum-2023-govstack-cio-digital-leaders-forum/

[20]
https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/timeline3/latest/embed/index.html?source=1WXgSplqAB62oMSdwqli_1G3k37c0y6fZkZJLzc5Www8&font=OldStandard&lang=en&hash_bookmark=true&initial_zoom=4&height=650#event-interpersonal-computing

[21] https://futureoflife.org/open-letter/pause-giant-ai-experiments/
[22]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M_6gq_lV43xQdqa1jY0GdEvnZoFwIE_cqlwX5xOSBco/edit
[23]
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1nFZUVL3Uh4zB82F3ViU189Rz05ZPKmtZU3tDq4w8OZQ/edit
[24] http://www.humancentricai.org/
[25] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vROTibKiE
[26] https://2017.trustfactory.org/
[27]
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cq8rI71tR31vpklPiHcvoAqVC5EeGtD0M05DBedp1nE/edit#
[28]
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1RzczQPfygLuowu-WPvaYyKQB0PsSF2COKldj1mjktTs/edit#

[29]
https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/timeline3/latest/embed/index.html?source=1r-bo83ImIEjSCmOFFMcT7F79OnCHDOGdkC_g9bOVFZg&font=Default&lang=en&hash_bookmark=true&initial_zoom=4&height=750#event-consciousness-qm-ai-studies-video-edition

[30] https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/definition-ai-weapon-timothy-holborn/
[31]
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/secure-digital-print-machines-trust-factory/
[32]