From: public-html-xml-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-xml-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Norman Walsh
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:08 AM
To: public-html-xml@w3.org
Subject: Re: New editor's draft of the HTML/XML TF Report

"Robert Leif" < <mailto:rleif@rleif.com> rleif@rleif.com> writes:

> "Where HTML goes to great lengths to defined how an agent must recover

> from markup errors, XML is unforgiving in the face of markup errors".

That language has been softened per Anne's suggestion.

> It does not appear that XSD1.1 has a data-type containing the string

> “exception”. I believe that we should suggest to the group that is

> developing XSD1.1 that they create one and define it in such a way

> that it is compatible with HTML5 (See below). In the case of HTML5 and

> the XML vocabulary that is based upon XSD1.1, the goal should be

> harmonization.

Validation is way too late in the process. The problem XML faces is at parse time.

> “However, as all of the use cases appear to have plausible solutions

> today, solutions that do not appear amenable to significant

> improvement, it appears that there is little that can be done beyond

> documenting these circumstances.”

> The first part of the sentence, “However, as all of the use cases

> appear to have plausible solutions today” implies that all of the

> problems have been solved. It is followed by a phrase that there are

> still: “solutions that do not appear amenable to significant

> improvement”.

> Does the all need to be changed to some or what? Do you mean: However,

> these solutions do not appear amenable to significant improvement. It

> appears that there is little that can be done beyond documenting these

> circumstances.

I meant that we articulated solutions for the use cases and within the constraints outlined, it doesn't look like we could do a lot better.

> “we use the term “DOM” (Document Object Model) throughout as a general

> term for any of these possible representations.” Abbreviations should

> be spelled out.

Ok.

> “Resolution HTML5 doesn't have an extensibility story that admits the

> possibility of content in arbitrary namespaces.”

> This is correct and is also the heart of the problem. A reasonable

> solution is to leave HTML5 alone; and instead, to define XHTML5 to be

> extensible. HTML5 then would be left to do general purpose including

> entertainment web pages and XHTML5 would be reserved for interfacing

> with XML and high integrity applications. Since the browser is a

> program, it is not written in either HTML or XML. However, its

> capabilities should be able to be met by the programming language used

> for its implementation. Obviously, every effort should be made to

> maximize the harmonization of HTML5 and XHTML5 and much of the code

> employed to parse and render the two languages can be common.

Do you think there's any possibility of achieving consensus for a model that says HTML5 and XHTML5 are that radically different in design and philosophy?

                                        Be seeing you,

                                          norm

--

Norman Walsh