RE: XML/HTML Task Force to meet on Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Norm et al.

In my last message, I wrote about the openContent element. I have attached
two schemas that contain an openContent element and have been validated with
XSDL1.1 using oXygen. Three of the four schemas in the attachment are from
Microsoft Expression Web (html_5.xsd, I18Languages.xsd, and svg.xsd). One of
these is a schema for HTML5 and two are necessary support schemas. A small
test schema interleave.xsd has also been included and is shown below. I have
added one openContent element to  html_5.xsd and interleave.xsd. An XML page
generated from each schema should be able to contain and ignore elements
present from the other schema.  This should permit the generation of HTML5
web pages that include XML elements between standard HTML elements, such as
of forms based on external schema elements. I hope that html_5.xsd can be
modified to permit this. The end result hopefully will be something like a
much smaller plug-in, such as that required by XForms. In any event, an
HTML5 schema could serve as a useful test-bed for experimentation and
prototyping.

Bob Leif

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

    targetNamespace="http://www.interleave" xmlns="http://www.interleave"

    elementFormDefault="qualified">

    <xs:element name="interleave">

        <xs:annotation>

            <xs:documentation> Added by Robert C. Leif for research

                purposes. The addition of the openContent element should

                permit the elements in html-5.xsd to appear in an interleave

                page. However, I do not believe that any browser supports

                this. oXygen with the the Saxon-EE 9.3.0.5 Engine validated

                this schema. </xs:documentation>

        </xs:annotation>

        <xs:complexType>

            <xs:openContent mode="interleave">

                <xs:any
namespace="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/html-5"
processContents="strict"/>

            </xs:openContent>

            <xs:sequence>

                <xs:element name="Title" type="xs:string"/>

                <xs:element name="Author" type="xs:string"/>

                <xs:element name="Date" type="xs:string"/>

                <xs:element name="ISBN" type="xs:string"/>

                <xs:element name="Publisher" type="xs:string"/>

           </xs:sequence>

        </xs:complexType>

    </xs:element>

    <!--Based upon slides 266 and 214 of XML Schema 1.1 by Roger L.
Costello, (http://www.xfront.com) 26 November, 2009.

        http://www.xfront.com/xml-schema-1-1/index.html)-->

</xs:schema>

<xsd:element name="body">

        <xsd:complexType>

            <xsd:annotation>

                <xsd:documentation> Added by Robert C. Leif for research

                    purposes. The addition of the openContent element should

                    permit the elements in interleave.xsd to appear in an
html5

                    page. However, I do not believe that any browser
supports

                    this. oXygen with the the Saxon-EE 9.3.0.5 Engine
validated

                    this schema. </xsd:documentation>

            </xsd:annotation>

            <xsd:openContent mode="interleave">