RE: XForms Use Case

Issue 41 is on HTML5. I agree that reopening the discussion when the WG is trying to nail down its Last Call spec is in appropriate.  But that doesn't mean the TF can't  discuss the possibility of revisiting the issue in a future version of HTML, especially if we uncover a novel but effective way to increase extensibility without breaking existing web sites and applications or unreasonably burdening implementers.

For that matter, this TF could in principle make a last call comment on HTML5 if we discover a relatively small tweak to the spec that would increase its interoperability with the XML world.  So, I don't think the use case of XML content that partially conflicts with the local names defined in HTML (which I think is the generic version of the XForms use case) is out of scope for the task force.

-----Original Message-----
From: public-html-xml-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-xml-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Edward O'Connor
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:34 AM
To: Michael Kay
Cc: public-html-xml@w3.org
Subject: Re: XForms Use Case

Michael wrote:
> I'm afraid I've no idea what Issue 41 is

It's the HTML WG issue regarding distributed extensibility. [1] It's also the first Google search result for "ISSUE-41".

> though I dare say we're unlikely to discuss anything that hasn't been
> discussed before.

Yes. As Henri said, it would be bad process for this TF to waste cycles on DE before the HTML WG chairs have determined the outcome of ISSUE-41.

Ted

1.  http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/41