Re: Use cases

On 01/05/2011 06:27 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2011, at 09:42, James Clark wrote:
>
>> Note that although a version of nxml-mode that works with HTML5
>> would be a useful thing to have, it would not completely satisfy my
>> use case: I want to create documents that are both HTML5 and XML.
>
> What's the use case for wanting to do that?

I maintain a tool named Planet Venus.  At the present time, there are a
number of advantages to serving the content produced as
application/xhtml+xml to clients that support such (example: being able
to display MathML and SVG).  Over time, the set of advantages will
undoubtedly change, but I don't presume that the functions and features
of the two mime types will ever converge.

Meanwhile, there is clear value in degrading gracefully by serving the
same content as text/html to clients that don't support
application/xhtml+xml, even if such clients don't get the benefit of the
full functionality.

In any case, the output of Planet Venus is a file, and the tool does not
control how the content is served.  Others use this same tool and serve
the content unconditionally as text/html.

- Sam Ruby