Re: Use cases

On Jan 4, 2011, at 12:55, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2010, at 23:19, Norman Walsh wrote:
>
>> 2. I have an HTML5 toolchain and I want to consume XML because I'd
>>  like to process XML using HTML5 tools.
>
> Who actually wants this and why? What's an HTML5 toolchain (other than an XML toolchain with an HTML parser and an HTML serializer)?

This was explained to me on the telecon. Writing down my understanding:

The scenario is that in the future, a vendor makes a tool that supports only text/html input and not application/xhtml+xml input, because the vendor doesn't care enough about XML. However, the user whose task is close enough to what the tool does has some non-XHTML XML (e.g. DocBook) content. The user wants to apply the tool to the XML content--i.e. in a way that the tool vendor didn't envision and develop for.

(So basically this is about tricking developers of HTML-only tools into providing usefulness to users who have non-XHTML, non-SVG, non-MathML content even though the tool developer doesn't care enough about such usage to address it explicitly.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi