Re: HTML5 output method

On 03/01/2011 18:15, John Cowan wrote:

> On the contrary, names in the HTML namespace should be treated by HTML
> output mode as if they were in no namespace (which is what triggers the
> magic treatment of void elements in html output mode).

if a new html5 serialisation mode  was specified that treated
no-namespace and xhtml in similar ways then most of the differences
between the existing html and xhtml output methods would be gone, the
only difference being described here is whether you describe html5
serialisation as a variant of the existing xhtml or html serialisation
methods, I don't think it actually affects the behaviour.

> XML serializers, including those used by XSLT, are free to use xmlns
> attributes exclusively and never generate a prefix.

xslt1 serialisation allowed prefixes to be changed (or dropped) but
XSLT2 serialisation requires that prefixes be kept (so that documents
using  qnames-in-content) may be reliably produced.

Of course, the generating templates may be written not to generate
prefixes, but I don't think that's what you meant.

> In XSLT, output-escaping is suppressed by the generative mechanism,
> not by the output mode.

Not exactly, currently the html serialisation

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-xquery-serialization-30/#HTML_MARKUP

says

The HTML output method MUST NOT perform escaping for any text node
descendant, nor for any attribute of an element node descendant, of a
script or style element.

I think Henri is correct to say that that list could be extended to
include more than just script and style.

David