Re: <time> values in HTML5

On 12/3/2011 1:18 PM, John Cowan wrote:
> Toby Inkster scripsit:
>
>> ISO 8601 gives us a nice, standard notation for durations. I'd support
>> subsetting it if there were massive disadvantages to adopting the
>> full notation, but I don't think these disadvantages exist. I've
>> written a parser for ISO 8601 durations before, and I can't recall
>> the requirement to differentiate between 'M' before and after the 'T'
>> being especially onerous to implement.
>
> I presume what's under discussion is the XML Schema subset of 8601,
> which excludes duration in weeks (these take the form PnW meaning "n
> 7-day weeks").  I'm not sure why these were excluded.

The 1st or 2nd draft of Datatypes that I wrote had type for EVERYTHING in ISO
8601, include the week types and the full range of durations.  My memory is a
little sketchy about matters that far back and I'm not sure if those were just
editor's drafts or if we published them.  I also don't remember why the WG
decided to take out those parts of 8601.

Poking around a bit, I do see that xs:timePeriod was in the Jun 04 1999 WD [1].

pvb

[1] https://www.w3.org/XML/Group/1999/06/xmlschema-2/#timePeriod