W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-wg-announce@w3.org > April to June 2010

RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-29: Action items, new issues, Task Force reports - minutes of the meeting

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:55:50 +0000
To: "public-html-wg-announce@w3.org" <public-html-wg-announce@w3.org>
Message-ID: <104E6B5B6535E849970CDFBB1C5216EB2F0B45F4@TK5EX14MBXC132.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
The minutes of the meeting are also available here:
http://www.w3.org/2010/04/29-html-wg-minutes.html


HTML Weekly Teleconference
29 Apr 2010

Chair
mjs
Scribe
adrianba

Topics 
1.ACTION items due by Thu Apr 22
2.Issues with deadlines due by April 29
3.Items that close next week (by Thu May 6)
4.New Issues This Week
5.New Calls for Proposals/Counter Proposals/Consensus this Week
6.WG Decision Policy update
7.Task Force Reports
8.Other Business
9.Scribe for next meeting
10.Adjournment

Summary of Action Items

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



1. ACTION items due by Thu Apr 22
ACTION-29?

<trackbot> ACTION-29 -- Philippe Le Hégaret to follow up on the idea of a free-software-compatible license for a note on HTML authoring -- due 2010-04-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/29

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-29 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

plh: there are several proposals on the table at the moment
... don't expect PSIG to reach conclusion until end of May
... still moving
... next update end of may

ACTION-178?

<trackbot> ACTION-178 -- Philippe Le Hégaret to contact the various chairs/co-chairs to resolve the use of the text/html mime type -- due 2010-04-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/178

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-178 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

<rubys> action-29 due may 27

<trackbot> ACTION-29 Follow up on the idea of a free-software-compatible license for a note on HTML authoring due date now may 27

<paulc> action-29: due May 31

<trackbot> ACTION-29 Follow up on the idea of a free-software-compatible license for a note on HTML authoring notes added

plh: not done yet - 2 more weeks please

<rubys> action-29 due in 2 weeks

<trackbot> ACTION-29 Follow up on the idea of a free-software-compatible license for a note on HTML authoring due date now in 2 weeks

ACTION-179?

<trackbot> ACTION-179 -- Philippe Le Hégaret to set automatic copy of HG to www.w3.org -- due 2010-04-27 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/179

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-179 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

plh: from testing task force - still ongoing - probably by end of may
... will have a separate server for testing that will support cross-origin testing
... deadline should be end of may

2. Issues with deadlines due by April 29
ISSUE-78?

<trackbot> ISSUE-78 -- Spec should use a term other than "URL" for Web Addresses -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/78

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-78 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: passed deadline, no one volunteered, closed without prejudice

ISSUE-82?

<trackbot> ISSUE-82 -- Suggested replacement for head/@profile does not provide for disambiguation -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/82

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-82 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: call for consensus to close but still minor objection to one detail of wording

<plh> close ISSUE-78

<trackbot> ISSUE-78 Spec should use a term other than "URL" for Web Addresses closed

mjs: julian suggested fix and jonas agreed
... hope to get editor to make change and close

ISSUE-81?

<trackbot> ISSUE-81 -- Offline Web Applications section should use the term "representation" instead of "resource" -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/81

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-81 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: cfc closed yesterday - to close without prejudice

<paulc> plh: We normally add something to the issue when we "close without prejudice".

mjs: some people wanted more changes than change proposal that exists - chairs will look to a mechanism such as a survey to close it

<plh> ISSUE-78: closed without prejudice due to lack of change proposals

<trackbot> ISSUE-78 Spec should use a term other than "URL" for Web Addresses notes added

<rubys> issue-78: closed without prejudice

<trackbot> ISSUE-78 Spec should use a term other than "URL" for Web Addresses notes added

Items that close next week (by Thu May 6)
mjs: calls for counter proposal on 6 issues
... received for each

ISSUE-90?

<trackbot> ISSUE-90 -- Tighten the focus and allowable content in the figure element -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/90

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-90 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

scribe: original proposal to remove, counter proposal to keep

ISSUE-91?

<trackbot> ISSUE-91 -- Re-focus and tighten definition of the aside element -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/91

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-91 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: similar to issue 90 but with aside element

ISSUE-93?

<trackbot> ISSUE-93 -- Delete Details Element -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/93

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-93 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: same kind of thing but for details

ISSUE-95?

<trackbot> ISSUE-95 -- Remove/Discard the Hidden Attribute -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/95

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-95 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: about the hidden attribute but same idea

ISSUE-96?

<trackbot> ISSUE-96 -- Remove/Discard the Progress Element -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/96

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-96 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: very similar situation for progress element

ISSUE-97?

<trackbot> ISSUE-97 -- Remove/Discard the Meter Element -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/97

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-97 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: same deal

janina: a11y TF just voted to support counter proposals to keep these elements

mjs: thanks

ISSUE-106?

<trackbot> ISSUE-106 -- Return the concept of Obsolete but conforming back to using obsolete and deprecated -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/106

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-106 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: call for proposals ends may 6 - no proposal received yet
... anyone interested should look into it (shelley has volunteered)

New Issues This Week
mjs: 5 new issues

ISSUE-111?

<trackbot> ISSUE-111 -- What does input.@required mean for @type = checkbox? -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/111

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-111 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-112?

<trackbot> ISSUE-112 -- negative keywords-not meta tags -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/112

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-112 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-113?

<trackbot> ISSUE-113 -- add a preventable forced-fragment method -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/113

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-113 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: ... <disconnected>
... is back :)

ISSUE-114?

<trackbot> ISSUE-114 -- link tag: rel: associate pages about the same organization across many sites for searches without a canonical page and despite a confusingly indistinct name -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/114

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-114 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-115?

<trackbot> ISSUE-115 -- link tag: rel: associate pages about the same person across many sites for searches without a canonical page and despite a confusingly indistinct name -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/115

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-115 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: anyone interested in these should study the issue tracker page

New Calls for Proposals/Counter Proposals/Consensus this Week
ISSUE-109?

<trackbot> ISSUE-109 -- change ARIA section title and add extra text about use of ARIA -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/109

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-109 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: potentially related to a11y but not something that TF going to review
... so went ahead and issued call for proposals - one volunteer already
... remaining are the five new issues above
... if interested please look at issues and consider writing change proposal
... calls close in 1 month

WG Decision Policy update
mjs: we expect to still see revisions by may 15
... most important change is about clear policy to enter last call
... drafts are advancing and some may be ready to go to LC soon (many have few issues)
... need this to be well-defined
... anyone interested in this look at the bug
... anyone have any questions?

<rubys> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9315

<pimpbot> 119315: mjs@apple.com, P2, NEW, 13Retain issue markers for issues that have timed out even during Last Call

<paulc> entering LC bug: http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9554

<pimpbot> 119554: mjs@apple.com, P2, NEW, 13Define procedure for entering Last Call

Task Force Reports
mjs: a11y TF first
... TF facilitators and chairs met earlier in the week to discuss timeline

ISSUE-30?

<trackbot> ISSUE-30 -- Should HTML 5 include a longdesc attribute for images -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/30

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-30 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-66?

<trackbot> ISSUE-66 -- image analysis heuristics -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/66

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-66 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-80?

<trackbot> ISSUE-80 -- document conformance and device dependent display of title attribute content -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/80

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-80 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: received TF recommendation for these issues
... chairs will be trying to drive to resolution
... also received recommendation on 6 issues earlier - about adding/removing semantic elements

ISSUE-31?

<trackbot> ISSUE-31 -- What to do when a reasonable text equivalent is unknown/unavailable? -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/31

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-31 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: proposal discussed in TF - still some discussion
... expecting recommendation by may 7 at latest

janina: TF voted today - not objecting to being present - don't need to hold up in TF
... discussion did cover crowd sourcing and if that was there then there probably would be an objection

mjs: may 7 sounds easy then

cyns: objection was just to having in html stack

ISSUE-74?

<trackbot> ISSUE-74 -- How accessibility works for <canvas> is unclear. -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/74

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-74 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-105?

<trackbot> ISSUE-105 -- allow image maps on the canvas element -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/105

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-105 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: expected deadline after today

janina: personally think may 20 or 27 but we didnt get to this

mjs: okay, should know in a week

ISSUE-85?

<trackbot> ISSUE-85 -- ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/85

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-85 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: expected to know deadline by may 7 (that not the deadline - date for a date)

janina: on track

ISSUE-32?

<trackbot> ISSUE-32 -- how to provide a summary of a table, e.g. for unsighted navigation? -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/32

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-32 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: deadline by may 7 also
... could be a short term change proposal that would update spec to something liveable for TF with potentially longer term work item

janina: discussed on TF today - expect to vote next week to restore summary as HTML4 in short term with work on enhancements in longer term

cyns: little concerned about how this will be received in wider working group - can you help pave the way to make this go more smoothly?

mjs: we can try to guide the discussion in a constructive direction

paulc: point is well made and co-chairs need to figure out how to present this to the WG
... co-chairs should take question under advisement and figure this out

cyns: hence the question

janina: sounds good

ISSUE-9?

<trackbot> ISSUE-9 -- how accessibility works for <video> is unclear -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/9

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-9 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: last time we discussed we expected a deadline established by may 7
... believe yesterday media sub-group met

janina: unfortunate news is doubt deadline by may 7
... need better requirements statement to make sure all issues covered
... action items put together and urgency understood
... but will probably take a couple of weeks
... may 7 will need to slip but not sure by how much yet
... sub-group to meet weekly to get this done
... nervous about may 14 but comfortable with may 21

mjs: would expect requirements doc by may 21?

janina: yes, and deadline

mjs: that would be extremely valuable

janina: can't just talk engineering without knowing problems to be solved

mjs: draft reqs and deadline for input from tf by may 21

ISSUE-109?

<trackbot> ISSUE-109 -- change ARIA section title and add extra text about use of ARIA -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/109

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-109 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: TF declining to take up - is there any update?

janina: didn't bring it up on agenda - my sense is that this is in editorial class we'd come to later

mjs: also mentioned there may be additional item about keyword equivalence for drag/drop
... this may come as reopening but that was closed as NEEDSINFO
... mention for information - update?

janina: no update as of today

mjs: any other A11Y TF items?

janina: that's it - mentioned earlier to support zero change proposals on elements

mjs: this is interesting new information
... Testing Task Force

<krisk> Process getting setup to move test from HG to the w3 site (http://www.w3.org/html/tests)

<krisk> The net effect is that we will have approved HTML5 tests on the w3 site

krisk: process being set up to move from mercurial to w3 site
... this will mean having approved tests
... still looking for more participation
... TF meeting schedule being extended - expecting to keep the same schedule
... if people want to attend but if timing is difficult then now would be a good time to say

Other Business
paulc: we have received confirmation that our pref for meeting at TPAC was accepted
... registration will start in early june
... have posted to list on this

Scribe for next meeting
mjs: i will volunteer

Adjournment
mjs: thanks everyone for joining the call

Summary of Action Items
[End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 29 April 2010 16:57:26 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:08:40 UTC