From: Philippe Le Hegaret [mailto:plh@w3.org]
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 3:16 PM
To: Rik Cabanier
Cc: HTML Test Suite; eliotgra@microsoft.com; Jay Munro; Tom Wiltzius; Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: RE: Failures in Canvas2D test suite

On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 13:06 -0700, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> > Looking deeper at one of those [1], the 2d context specification seems clear to me:
> > [[
> > If the image argument is an HTMLImageElement object that is not
> > fully decodable, or if the image argument is an HTMLVideoElement object whose readyState attribute is either HAVE_NOTHING or HAVE_METADATA, then the implementation must return null.
> > ]]
>
> My point was that how images are loaded, is not specified by canvas.  The test is not failing because of a canvas feature.

For the test that I was referring to [1], the image doesn't exist and can only result in a failure. As such, the details of the failure as defined by HTML5 doesn't matter for createPattern. 2D Context won't create a pattern and return null instead. It is 2d context that defines the null return, not HTML5, and it seems appropriate to have a test for that as part of the 2d context API.

Philippe

[1]
http://w3c-test.org/testrunner/2dcontext/fill-and-stroke-styles/2d.pattern.image.broken.html