Re: Proposed repository reorganisation

On 28/10/2012 18:25 , James Graham wrote:
> I propose that we reorganise the repository so that tests are in a
> structure tests/section/of/spec. So for example, a test for id
> attributes would go under
> tests/semantics_structure_apis/elements/global_attributes/id_attribute

+1

It would make things easier to find. The downside is tracking spec
section name changes, but hopefully there will only be so many of those.

Perhaps instead of title_of_the_section we could just use the anchor
names (possibly with a cleanup step)? Just a bikeshed question though,
I'm happy to leave that up to whoever actually does the work of moving
things around.

> This has the disadvantage of being rather deep, but the considerable
> advantage of meaning that people don't need to add metadata about what
> their test covers in the test itself (in common cases). Where a test
> covers more than one section of the spec, it could either be put in a
> common ancestor section if it covers most of the descendent sections
> e.g. a test that covered all global attributes might go in
> tests/semantics_structure_apis/elements/global_attributes/ or could have
> in-file metadata pointing at the other section.

I'd rather keep it simple and not have people monkeying tests up and
down the hierarchy. Whatever primary thing you're testing is where you
put the test. Secondary features that happen to be in the test can be
covered by metadata.