Re: Notes on test suite reorganisation

On 11/12/2012 13:53 , Simon Pieters wrote:
> I'm not sure I'm happy with having separate directories for "html5" and
> "html51" (etc). This seems like it would lead to duplicating the whole
> testsuite multiple times and cause a maintenance nightmare.

I'm certainly not married to it. Initially I only had one "html" but I
saw discussion of having those two in the last meeting so I took that
into account.

> A better option might be to just have an "html" directory with tests for
> both html5 and html51 (etc), and if a particular test is not valid for a
> particular snapshot, that can be indicated with metadata in the test
> itself. Tests should be assumed to reflect the latest spec, since that's
> what most implementors are working towards.

I would like to avoid having metadata in the files as much as possible.
Experience with a number of suites shows that it gets copy-pasted, goes
out of sync with reality, is just plain wrong for ages without anyone
noticing, and more often than not just isn't there at all. Inasmuch as
possible I would like metadata to be self-evident (for both authoring
and processing) in the interface, i.e. based on the FS, and possibly on
branches.

That's not an objection against merging 5+5.1 by the way — just to how
the testing distinction is maintained.