Re: Notes on test suite reorganisation

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:03:41 +0100, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> • Inside tests, I made five directories: html5, html51, canvas2d,
>> canvas2d2, microdata to reflect the various specs. Technically there might
>> be a microdata2 as well, but there doesn't seem to be much motion there for
>> now so that can wait.
>
> I'm not sure I'm happy with having separate directories for "html5" and
> "html51" (etc). This seems like it would lead to duplicating the whole
> testsuite multiple times and cause a maintenance nightmare.

Right. And besides, it makes the most sense to read the upstream
versionless spec anyway when writing tests—just like when
implementing. If we are going to maintain the fiction that the test
suite isn’t for WHATWG HTML, let’s not overdo it by organizing it as
“html5”, “html51”, etc.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi