From: public-html-testsuite-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-testsuite-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of James Graham
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:36 AM
To: Philippe Le Hegaret
Cc: Anne van Kesteren; Kris Krueger; James Graham; public-html-testsuite@w3.org
Subject: Re: html5lib tests

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

>>> I'm not familiar with .dat . Who made this format?
>>
>> .dat just means it's a data file, the extension does not really matter.
>> Ian designed the parser test format and wrote the first seventy or so
>> tests.
>
> So it seems we don't need to worry about using it then,

The tests as submitted are generated from the html5lib .dat files using a script. Obviously other approaches are possible. The .dat files are licensed under the MIT license so (IANAL) I would expect mechanical translations to other formats to be under the same license.

If people are submitting new tests for the parser, I would expect them to add the tests to the html5lib files and then regenerate the W3C copy.