Re: Reflection tests

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> (Personally I think it s fine if not all JavaScript tests use the same
> framework. Especially if it is basically a self-contained test suite.)

I don't think that's fine if an eventual goal is for browsers to
integrate the W3C tests into their internal regression testing.  I
think this is what's really needed to get a comprehensive set of
tests.  At least Gecko and WebKit (maybe IE and Opera too, don't know)
have extensive collections of tests for standards compliance, since
they require automated tests for all new features.  Like this nice
.dataset test from WebKit:

http://trac.webkit.org/export/66582/trunk/LayoutTests/fast/dom/dataset.html

Ideally I think we should settle on a standard API for W3C tests, and
get implementers to write standards-based tests to the W3C API instead
of their own, and sync the implementer tests to a central W3C
repository as much as possible (in both directions).

That doesn't have to block short-term acceptance, of course, but I
don't think it's ideal in principle for every test to make up its own
API.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 7:35 AM, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com> wrote:
> This is not a blocker. If we decide to port it to the existing framework, we
> can do that and make whatever changes are necessary to the framework to
> accommodate those tests later rather than waiting for it.
>
> . . .
>
> Right, so it is not sensible to approve the tests yet. I don't think this is
> a big problem either.
>
> . . .
>
> In my opinion, yes. The only question is whether to use tests/Submitted for
> this or add e.g. tests/InProgress (feel free to bikeshed the name). I am
> happy with either.

Okay, I tried checking them in, but I'm getting an error:

$ hg push
pushing to https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html
searching for changes
http authorization required
realm: W3C Mercurial Repository
user: agregor
password:
abort: HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error

The username and password I used work for
<http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/>, unless I mistyped the password
four or five times in a row but got it right on the first try for the
members' area.