Re: [css3-text] Korean should be added to enable additional line breaking rule sets

I would not agree that this is too complex to implement, since I recently
implemented it for Webkit without much difficulty. [1]

> Especially, I find "normal" to be too strict, as this is something that
> will be executed for every single piece of
> CJK text that will be rendered from a implementation - I strongly believe
> that putting a potential performance
> degradation on the default property is overkill unless absolutely
> necessary.

As Koji noted, the default is 'auto', not 'normal', and it is up to the UA
implementer to determine what 'auto' means. I have chosen a particular
interpretation [2] for my implementation, which does not measurably degrade
performance. [3]

not all UA implementors are CJK speakers (there aren't many of us who are
> also UA developers) non-normative examples of the rationale is probably
> necessary

Although I am not a native CJK speaker, I had no problem implementing this
feature, so this is not a relevant comment I think.

> so I believe this case should also be covered in the same (C)JK scope if
> possible. (Note: Chinese probably doesn't apply, although I have seen
> usages of ¥ instead of 元, only in ROC and only in a handwritten context.

I'm not sure if you are suggesting that CJK languages should all be treated
the same here or not. I believe they should; that is, where the current
CSS3 Text draft says "Chinese or Japanese", it should instead say "CJK
languages" or "Chinese, Japanese, or Korean". This will improve
interoperability and consistency of behavior.

Regards,
Glenn Adams

[1] https://bugs.webkit.org/attachment.cgi?id=164255&action=prettypatch
[2] https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/LineBreakingCSS3Mapping