Re: htmldata-ISSUE-2 (Use of rdf:XMLLiteral): Should Microdata-RDF generate XMLLiteral values [Microdata to RDF]

On Oct 24, 2011, at 2:11 AM, "Philip Jägenstedt" <philipj@opera.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 19:51:56 +0200, Gregg Kellogg
> <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 21, 2011, at 1:55 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

>>> I'd say no. XML is not part of the microdata model, and it would be very
>>> bad indeed if some toolchains saw this as plain text while others saw it
>>> as a DOM fragment.
>>
>> Regarding different interpretations by tool chains, given that we seem
>> to be going to a parameterized transformation algorithm, this would be
>> only one area where different tools might generate different results.
>> I'd rather see us come up with unambiguous transformation rules that did
>> not rely on the state of different provided to a parser, but that might
>> need to be left to another group that would take on this work at the end
>> of the TF.
>
> I don't understand, what is a "parameterized transformation algorithm" and
> in what other areas do we expect incompatible implementation of microdata?
> Surely we expect that the spec(s) will leave no room for interpretation or
> incompatibility, such that all implementations will do exactly the same
> thing?

Jeni has said that this group should provide options for performing an RDF transformation that another WG might resolve. This _could_ include vocabulary-specific rules and runtime parameters with default behavior.

As I've said, my preference would be no vocabulary-specific or parameter differences, but writing it this way, at least for now, provides a way of talking about and maybe testing those behaviors.

Personally, I'd like to resolve the URI generation rules in favor of the flat-namespace algorithm in my current ED. I don't particularly care for having different processing rules for different vocabularies.

Gregg