Re: Question / Request for HTML or CSS

Allen,

I believe the standards only define what user agents *must* implement to be
compliant with the specification, not what they *must not* implement.  For
example, a user agent customized by a sales kiosk corporation *may* implement
a deprecated HTML element in order to standardize marquee scrolling across
all of their kiosk locations.  Browser vendors implement custom elements
and property prefixes *in addition to* what the standard defines.

The <marquee> element defines a stylistic behavior without adding any
semantic markup that a header element would not add to the same content.
 As you say, scrolling behavior and readability is the responsibility of
the designer.  It is much easier to make accommodations for fixing such
designs when sticking to the more modularized styling and scripting
standards that are now defined.

--Xaxio