Re: Keep DRM out of Web standards -- Reject the Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) proposal

Mike hit it exactly.

 > Particularly useful for denoting rights for digital material. It has
 > worked well for non-digital media for quite some time, as well.

As long as governments have been imposing the monopoly of copyright,
the expression of such rights have been marked up as part of the
content, and enforced in the real world by law.

Although some are obsessed with DRM and digital rights markup, the W3C
specifications are not the appropriate place for any kind of digital
rights expression or enforcement.

DRM is dangerous because it's ineffectiveness necessitates being double
locked with law, which poses additional threat to both the public domain
and culture.  That is already happening.

Including DRM into the standard is the first step toward Internet lock
down at the core.  Because I value the Internet as an important means of
disseminating culture,  I strongly oppose the incorporation of DRM into
any part of the W3C Standard.

Regards,
Laurel L. Russwurm