Re: Keep DRM out of Web standards -- Reject the Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) proposal

On 04/25/13 01:11, John Sullivan wrote:
> Dear Sir Tim Berners-Lee and the World Wide Web Consortium,
>
> Attached please find a joint letter from a coalition of twenty-seven
> organizations condemning Encrypted Media Extensions (EME). The letter is
> also readable online at
> <http://www.defectivebydesign.org/sign-on-against-drm-in-html>.
>
> Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) restricts the public's freedom,
> even beyond what overzealous copyright law requires. Ratifying EME would
> be an abdication of W3C's responsibility; it would harm
> interoperability, enshrine nonfree software in W3C standards and
> perpetuate oppressive business models. It would fly in the face of the
> principles that the W3C cites as key to its mission and it would cause
> an array of serious problems for the billions of people who use the Web.
>
> The W3C can't *stop* companies from pushing DRM, but it can join us in
> condemning it, and it can refrain from making it easier for companies to
> work against the principles of the Web.
>
> We implore the World Wide Web Consortium to reject the Encrypted Media
> Extensions proposal.
>
> Sincerely,
> John Sullivan
> Executive Director
> Free Software Foundation

If they reject it there'll be some other propitiatory plugin which'll
not be a standard and not cross platform (you know for what 2 platforms
it'll be made for). It'll harm free software instead.

Companies want money and they can do anything for it, even destroy lives
forget squashing people's right. If it's not implemented in HTML it'll
be implemented by Adobe in some way.

Besides, if people don't like DRM, they wont buy/see DRM protected stuff
and there'll always be plenty of competition providing media without DRM
protection. And the'll always be ways to extract the video content
despite the protection. If anything can be displayed on screen, it can
also be extracted and saved to disk. I dont think there's anything to
worry at all.