Re: Securing Password Inputs

I would rather:

 <input type="password" pass-check-algorithm="blah"
pass-check-field="somefield">

As a feature of complaint browsers, then, as I type, they evaluate the
strength of the password using the pass-check-algorithm, and put a score in
fit, etc.

I've become convinced that this problem is an end-user problem, not
server-side problem. The real-time, as you type password checkers are
fantastic for shaming people in to making better passwords.  The only
problem I have is with the specific algorithms I come across.  Some just
want a capital letter + funky character, but 8 characters is enough.  But,
then, a password that is 50 characters long and all lowercase is 'weak'.
xkcd disagrees with that!!

So in the context of HTML5, you can defer the problem of 'how the check is
determined' by making the algorithm specifiable in an attribute.  Heck,
maybe even it's just a javascript routine.

Seth