Re: Regarding HTML5 <time>

Reproducibility in time separates science from conjecture.  Intellectual Property is based upon reproducibility in source, roughly, some content on which to drape your conjecture.  I'm on your side, Charles, but I'm afraid we lost.

--Gannon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Belov, Charles" <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>
To: 'Jukka K. Korpela' <jukka.k.korpela@kolumbus.fi>
Cc: public-html-comments@w3.org
Sent: Monday, November 7, 2011 2:12 PM
Subject: RE: Regarding HTML5 <time>

If nothing else, it would eliminate the issue that has kept me from using the time microformat as well as any other microformat that requires the time microformat. Current  recommendations for implementing time in microformats are not accessible or misuse existing tags.  Specifically, the current recommendation is to use the title attribute of the abbreviation tag, but the date-time format is not human-friendly.

>From http://microformats.org/wiki/value-class-pattern#Date_and_time_values

"Some microformats properties expect an ISO8601 datetime value, e.g. hCalendar dtstart and dtend or hAtom published.

Authors may use the value class pattern to separately specify the date and the time, which are then combined to specify a single datetime value.
        <abbr class="value" title="2008-06-24">this Tuesday</abbr>
     at <span class="value">18:30</span>

The 2008-06-24 date format is not friendly to humans.  Not only that, screen readers would read it in place of "this Tuesday."  The 18:30 part is not friendly in the United States.

Availability of a time tag would alleviate this issue.  Presumably a time tag would have an optional format attribute that would eliminate ambiguity between m/d/yy and d/m/yy.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster