Re: [web messaging] Channel Messaging Origins

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 19:04 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Philippe De Ryck wrote:
> >
> > If two browsing contexts X and Y create a messaging channel using ports,
> > no origin guarantees about the sender or receiver of the messages can be
> > given. This is in contrast with the 'Cross-document Messaging'
> > mechanism, where each message has a source and destination origin.
>
> This is intentional. The security model here is a capabilities model,
> where vending a MessagePort inherently grants a right. Exposing an origin
> would actually undermine this, preventing capabilities from being
> furthered to other origins.

The intention of message channels being used in a capabilities model is
not at all clear from the spec. Seeing it in this light, I have two
additional comments:

1. It might be useful to mention this in the spec, so that this
mechanism is used as intended (instead of just as an easy way to use
two-way communication). Additionally, mention the consequences that this
can have (i.e. the granted right can be passed along)

2. I understand that in a capabilities model, the target origin cannot
be specified. I don't think that this holds for the source origin, so is
there a specific reason to not include the source origin in the message
(even though the attribute is available)?

--
Philippe De Ryck
K.U.Leuven, Dept. of Computer Science