Re: Can accessing the device microphone and camera be added to HTML5?

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> I think a better solution would be to have a continuous process of adding
> features and fixing bugs, with no frozen versions. What's the point of a
> cycle? It doesn't match any of the browser vendors, it doesn't match the
> authoring community, so why bother? It's just artificial.

Could a "snapshot" approach work here? I know it was tried with CSS
and it hadn't much success (CSS Snapshot 2007 is still on LC stage,
and it's already May 2010); but the by-feature tracking of browser
support can help a lot in the case of HTML5.

For example, how doable would be to automatically generate a filtered
document with only those features that are at least supported by two
implementations (ie: they pass all the relevant tests)?

A key advantage here is that a snapshot can be frozen without
interfering with spec advancement. For example, no matter what changes
are made next month, a "HTML Snapshot May 2010" would remain
unaffected.

This would allow implementations to claim conformance with a given
snapshot, which is more useful for users when comparing available
options than vague claims such as "already supports a lot of HTML5
features".

Anyway, that's just an idea.

Regards,
Eduard Pascual