Re: HTML 5

HI,

Honestly, I think you are missing a key point on the CDATA concept:

when dealing with untrusted content (like user input), CDATA and

typical sanitizing are *exclusive* alternatives:

No, I'm not missing that point at all. The sole point I have been making was
in relation to your claim that it makes sanitizing easier. I don't think it
does at all, I think it's at best about the same as things are currently,
and possibly worse than that, a new thing that sanitizers need to add to
their arsenal. Since there are probably thousands of hand-crafted sanitizers
out there (sadly), making new things for them to deal with is something to
approach with caution.

I completely understand your point that *if* you put user-generated content
within a CDATA block, the sanitizing rules change. But

1. I don't think the rules are that much simpler, replacing ]]> vs.
replacing <, &, and (IMHO) >. (You have to deal with characters that need to
be entities or what-have-you in the encoding of the page *regardless*; you
can't dump out characters that are invalid in your encoding in a CDATA block
any more than you can elsewhere).

2. I don't see most sites that incorporate user-generated content using
CDATA blocks to render that content. How many sites these days incorporate
user-generated content without allowing *any* form of markup? Markdown,
bbcode, etc.? Not in 2010. Instead, sites incorporate the content by
sanitizing it and then processing the markdown/bbcode/whatever to result in
HTML. So the CDATA block is no help there. (This doesn't change its
applicability to Georg's original use case. Again, all I'm addressing here
is the claim it makes sanitizing easier.)

So since my position is that I (and others) am not going to use CDATA blocks
for user-generated content, I still have to sanitize what they provide. My
concern was that I didn't want new rules to worry about (if the user
includes CDATA blocks, perhaps as an attack vector), because of the
thousands of hand-crafted sanitizers out there.

As I mentioned in my follow-up post (you seem not to have seen it), on
reflection I'm not sure how much of a problem it is. A sanitizer that does a
thorough job will (in my view) escape <, &, and > at a minimum, and so a
user-contributed CDATA block won't be a CDATA block by the time we render
it, because the < will be an entity. That leaves the ]]> at the end. With a
good sanitizer, that will become ]]&gt;, but let's assume for the moment
that we're dealing with a site using an "only okay" sanitizer that only does
< and &, but not > (there are *lots* of these out there) and so the ]]> is
left as-is. Unless that site is *also* putting that user-generated content
in a CDATA block, I *think* that's harmless. If the site with the "only
okay" sanitizer *is* putting it in a CDATA block, well, then they should be
aware of the issue and deal with it.

So I don't think it makes sanitizing any easier, but having worked it
through, I don't *think* it makes it any harder, either, unless you start
using CDATAs to render user-contributed content, in which case you're aware
of the new feature and should be dealing with it appropriately.

On a completely separate point, going back to Georg's use case: How would he
include characters that can't be expressed except via entities in the
encoding he's using for his page? If I'm reading this section[1] of the XML
spec correctly (and that's by no means certain!), you can't use HTML
entities like &aacute; (not the best example, but you get the idea) in CDATA
sections (this based on the statement that <<*...left angle brackets and
ampersands may occur in their literal form; they need not (and cannot) be
escaped using "&lt;" and "&amp;"*>> the key part of that being "and
cannot"). But I'm having trouble reconciling that with this section[2] which
says <<*The right angle bracket (>) may be represented using the string
"&gt;", and must, for compatibility, be escaped using either "&gt;" or a
character reference when it appears in the string "]]>" in content, when
that string is not marking the end of a CDATA section.*>> You know more
about CDATA sections than I do, can you clarify that for me?

In any case, as I've said before, I can certainly see the case for CDATA
over a new tag with special rules. *If* something needs to be done at all.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-cdata-sect
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-chardata
--
T.J. Crowder