Re: HTML 5

> > What makes ]]> easier to defend against than </code>?

As I said, with <![CDATA[ ... ]]> you only need to care about the

exact sequence "]]>": if it's found within an input, get rid of it or

somehow fix it (string replacement "]]>" => "]]>]]&gt;<![CDATA[" gets

the job done safely). With </code> (or even with Arthur's <cdata>

suggestion, to some degree), things are quite more complex:

I don't understand. Any sanitizer *has* to escape < and &. Anything that
only escapes ]]> is worthless. So I don't think the argument that ]]> is
easier for sanitizers to escape holds up. Sanitizers have to do a full job
regardless.

Agreed that for *human beings*, it's easier to just worry about ]]> when
typing code within HTML rather than worrying about all < and & instances.

If anything were done, I'd prefer the CDATA approach to the <code>...</code>
(or any other tag) approach for the reasons I outlined earlier. I'm not
persuaded that anything needs to be done, although the truly massive number
of unescaped &'s out there suggests that people aren't using tools enough or
our tools are inadequate. (I fall into the former category -- for shame! --
perhaps because of the latter issue.) But I'm not the one who needs
persuading.
--
T.J. Crowder
Independent Software Consultant