Re: HTML 5

> <[CDATA[ ... ]]>.  This is far easier to

sanitize (you just need to ensure that the input doesn't include the

"]]>" sequence), thus being more usable on user-provided content.

What makes ]]> easier to defend against than </code>? In fact, I think ]]>
is probably more susceptible to injection vulnerabilities in the wild than
</code> for the simple reason that some naive HTML encoders only encode
ampersand and <, not >, and so while the latter would be defeated by extant
software (turned into &lt;/code>), the former would not be.

But as a software engineer, I'm not excited by <code> having special
encoding characteristics. In addition to treating < as already-escaped,
would & be treated as already-escaped as well? What does that mean for
entities? This makes life very difficult for people trying to pre-process
user-generated content for display within HTML, the rules become markedly
more complex.
--
T.J. Crowder
Independent Software Consultant