RE: charset name matching rules

Apologies for the delayed answer; I hope the following is helpful.

IE trims leading and trailing spaces from the encoding name then does a lowercase match on one of the aliases listed in ie.encodings.txt (attached).

ie.encodings.txt lists all the encodings using the format:

<ui-label>,<alias>,<codepage>,<msdn-cp-identifier>

Where:

<ui-label> is the encoding name as reported in the Page-Encoding menu of IE8 RTM (us-en version).
<alias> is an encoding name that maps to <ui-label>; the mapping is lowercase match of the input after trimming leading and trailing spaces.
<codepage> is the codepage number for this encoding.
<msdn-cp-identifier> is the description of the code page from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd317756(VS.85).aspx

In addition, as it might be helpful for future spec work, I've also attached a flat version of the IANA character set assignments at http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

The iana.charsets.map.txt file enumerates the charsets using the format:

<IANA-name>,<alias>