RE: "scheme" attribute of META element

On Fri, 8 May 2009, Chabot, Elliot wrote:

> We try to use Dublin Core-compliant metadata on all of our
> publicly-facing web sites, including http://www.house.gov/.

Excellent, thanks. I will look at this closely.

> We do not consume the data, we produce it and put it out on the web so
> that others can consume.

Are you aware of anyone who does consume this data?

> We encourage compliance with these type of standards even when there are
> currently few (or even no) applications that make use of particular
> features - on the theory that we are contributing to creating the
> critical mass of standards-compliant data on the web that will make it
> worthwhile for application designers to come forward and create the
> applications that can make use of the data.

What kinds of applications do you envisage making use of this data?

In general HTML5 is being developed from a much more pragmatic
perspective, starting from known problems or use cases and not from
theoretical future uses. This is intended to discourage people (such as
maybe yourself?) from including data that in practice nobody will ever
use; we don't want to encourage people to spend time on something that
will not actually ever help humanity.