Re: SHORTTAG </> again

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

> This got to be a FAQ, but... what's happened to </>?  Have I missed
> somthing or is that gone from the HTML5 draft?

In practice no browser's ever supported it, so we dropped it (along with
all the other SGMLisms -- HTML5 is not an SGML language.

It seems unlikely that we can change the syntax too fundamentally at this
point, due in part to a fear over security problems (we don't want to
introduce new ways of adding <script> elements to the Web that sanitisers
will miss) and due in part to the legacy content (there are pages that
depend on </> not being treated as an end tag to render well).

Cheers,