Re: charset name matching rules

Erik van der Poel wrote:
> I had another look at section 2.7, and it does have a pointer to the
> IANA charset registry, which also says "However, no distinction is
> made between use of upper and lower case letters." This is the only
> matching rule that we need. UTS22 is too lenient, and we all know
> what happens to the Web when browsers are too lenient.

Going by the case-insensitive matching rule is incompatible with web
content, as there is plenty of content out there which expects some
normalization to be done. I originally suggested using the UTS22 rules
as it seemed better than the status quo of three normalization rules
(the case-insensitive one; what browsers currently do, which HTML 5
previously defined; and UTS22) by reducing this to only two
normalization rules (purely case-insensitivity, as mentioned above, is
incompatible with the web so that's not an option, and as it turns out
UTS22 is incompatible as well). I guess we should go back to the
normalization rules that HTML 5 previously defined.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon — Opera Software
<http://gsnedders.com/>