Re: HTML 4.01 and 5.0: is it somewhat "unspecific" about space characters

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 09:09:33 -0700, Kenneth Kin Lum
<kenneth.kin.lum@gmail.com> wrote:
> hm... so you mean HTML take all spaces to be the content... and then...
> it is CSS that decides to drop them?

CSS can't change content. They're just not rendered by default based on
the white-space property value.

> So without using <pre>, is there a

The <pre> element has the CSS white-space property set to presering
whitespace (the pre value) by default. You can make it act "normally" by
setting white-space to normal.

> way that you could intentionally or accidentally expose the spaces by
> defining user defined styles?

Yes, as I said in my earlier e-mail, use white-space:pre.

> I hope I am not trying to be critical here.  It was that I thought the
> presence of space vs the absense of space does make a
> difference in the final presentation.

Presentation by itself is not an HTML issue.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>