Re: 4.13: URI decomposition - non-standard terminology

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Barclay, Daniel wrote:

> Section 4.13, Interfaces for URI manipulation, uses non-standard
> terminology for the components of a URI.
>
> For example, it uses the term "protocol"; RFC 3986 uses the term
> "scheme."
>
> The HTML 5 specification should use the terminology defined by the
> current standard for URIs.

This section is just specifying (for the first time) an API that has been
implemented in browsers for a decade and a half at least. We couldn't
possibly change the attribute names here, they are locked into the Web's
legacy. Notice how only the attribute names use these old terms; all the
actual prose and requirements use the right terminology (with the
exception of refering to URLs as defined by HTML5 instead of URIs or IRIs,
but that's another issue).