Re: BOCU-1, SCSU, etc.

Brian Smith wrote:
> Not all applications that use HTML are general purpose web browsers. If
> an HTML document or fragment is not going to be directly processed by a
> general-purpose web browser, then why do we need to restrict its
> encoding?

If your application isn't a general purpose Web browser, and your
document or fragment isn't going to be on the Web, then why do you
need to create conforming content?

> Then the restriction can be rewritten to "Don't use
> encodings that are not supported by your software."

That makes perfect sense for content that isn't on the Web, but why
should HTML be loosened to support this kind of content, rather than
the needs of the World Wide Web?

--
Michaeljohn Clement