Re: HTML 5: The l (line) element

Frank Ellermann wrote (with snippage):

> So far I thought XHTML 2 is designed to be transformed into
> something "visible" with browsers on the side of the server,
> while HTML5 wishes to *be* this client-"visible" something.

I don't believe XHTML 2 was ever intended to be limited to use as a
server-side technology; it's simply much easier to use it that way today.

> IMO not compelling, and it won't work in almost all browsers.

With the CSS provided (specifically "l { display: block }") it works in
Firefox, Safari, Opera, Camino, SeaMonkey, etc.  With the additional
JScript it works in Internet Explorer too.  It obviously won't work in
the current crop of browsers that don't utilise CSS, such as Lynx.  I've
not tried it within any NetFront-based browsers (e.g. PlayStation 3).

Whilst the use of scripting to build in HTML 5 features isn't entirely
ideal, it's a pragmatic way of supporting current browser
implementations rather than abandoning them when fully HTML 5-compatible
browsers become available.

> example, claiming that size="50" is invalid in HTML5.

 From a CSS point of view, yes <ul> and <li> could be used to create the
same visual effect.  From a semantic point of view, however, it doesn't
feel quite right -- I want to express lines within a form, and I don't
think of them as "list items" within an unordered list.  (Thanks for
pointing out my use of the 'size' attribute.)

> I didn't look into many proposed new features for HTML5 so
> far, maybe a <section> is not much better than <l>.  IIRC
> is not nice.

If it proves to be a problem renaming it to <line> might be a solution.

Regards,

Dave