Re: HTML5 DOCTYPE

Standard Disclaimer: I'm speaking my own opinion, not the opinion of
the HTML WG.

On 07/02/2008, Bob Rosenberg <webmaster@rockmug.org> wrote:
> The DOCTYPE for the HTML5 HTML version is <!DOCTYPE HTML>. This form
> will trigger verification and parsing as HTML4.1 since that is the
> current definition. This DOCTYPE tag should be changed to <!DOCTYPE
> HTML5> to show it as HTML5 and not trigger syntax and parsing errors
> since HTML5 is NOT valid HTML4.1 and will cause the W3C validator to
> throw out errors due to invalid HTML4.1 parms.

The reason HTML5 has a doctype *at all* is to trigger standards mode
rendering in current browsers. "<!DOCTYPE HTML>" is the shortest
string that achieves this across all browsers. "<!DOCTYPE HTML5>" was
discarded because it does not trigger standards mode in all current
browsers

The WHAT WG stance on validation seems to be that you should choose
which standard to validate against in the validator. The solution to
the problem of the W3C validator using HTML4.01 as default for
"<!DOCTYPE HTML>" would be corrected by choosing the appropriate
standard when you validate.
--
David "liorean" Andersson