Re: CfC: Request transition of HTML5 to Candidate Recommendation

On Sep 30, 2014, at 3:32 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> I've taken a look at the recent snapshots of the URL specification.
>
> Scheme no longer contains a colon, "authority-based URL" and "hierarchical URL" are no longer defined, and I don't see a section entitled "URL manipulation and creation".
>
> Would you agree that what remains are nomenclature differences and the fact that this specification doesn't match observed behavior of existing user agents?

I believe so, yes, if you mean to include "doesn't implement these objects"
as a difference in behavior.  It is very hard to tell given the structure and
style of the recent snapshots.

BTW, URL is now defined to be a general concept, a string identifier, a
reference to an absolute identifier, an old DOM interface, and a new DOM
object, and these various completely different things are frequently
referred to within the same sentence with nothing other than a link to
the general concept (which the reader has to disambiguate).

Having read through it again, I agree with your plan B, except that I would
copy and paste the URL interface from the prior DOM specs (the ones that
reflect actual DOM behavior in all browsers).  The RFC references plus
old URL interface description are the only parts that are interoperable in
current practice.

....Roy