Re: Proposed Permissive Copyright Experiment in HTML Working Group

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 00:18:42 +0200
To: "public-html-admin@w3.org" <public-html-admin@w3.org>
On 03/05/2013 15:31 , Robin Berjon wrote:
> I know that many of the larger companies have a knee-jerk reaction at
> the mere suggestion of an open license.

Based on some off-list reactions, some people understood the above as
stating that *all* those who have concerns about open licenses do so out
of an unthinking, knee-jerk reaction. I want to be absolutely clear that
in no way is that what I believe and I am sorry if I expressed myself
poorly.

It has been my experience in discussing this with a number of
stakeholders that this topic has, through perhaps unfortunate history,
been catalogued in the wrong political pigeon hole. I merely intended to
invite all to reconsider views formed in earlier debates on this issue.
I don't, in fact, believe that this needs to be a heated discussion at all.

The reason we're running this as an experiment is precisely so that
concerns can be aired, and (I certainly hope) addressed.