Re: W3C Advisory Committee discussions on DRM compatibility in HTML

Hi Michael,

On 2013-06-21 04:17, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
> Hi Catherine,
>
> Catherine Roy <ecrire@catherine-roy.net>, 2013-06-17 09:47 -0400:
>
>> "The members of the W3C Advisory Committee will be trying to reach consensus
>> on the decision to include DRM compatibility in HTML on Monday [June 10] in
>> Japan ."
>>
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jun/06/html5-drm-w3c-open-web
> That was a reference to a discussion scheduled for the at-the-time-upcoming
> face-to-face meeting of the W3C Advisory Committee meeting. I don't think
> it was intended as any kind of signal that a public summary of any results
> of the discussion would necessarily follow.

I never interpreted it to be that kind of signal. But since the
information was out there, considering the stakes, I had to ask.

>> I may have missed it and I am not familiar with all the intricacies of W3C
>> process so for the record, has or will W3C release information about
>> discussions on this issue and what the results were ?
> The records of W3C Advisory Committee face-to-face meetings themselves are
> not made available publicly. The W3C AC representatives discuss a variety
> things with one another -- both at twice-a-year face-to-face meetings like
> that one last week, and in between those meetings. The W3C staff doesn't
> report publicly on details of discussions that take place among W3C AC reps.

Yes, thank you, it was explained to me off-list that these meetings are
"confidential".

> People from organizations represented in the W3C AC and people from the W3C
> leadership/staff do continue to be actively involved in public discussion
> about the general topic of technologies for restricting access to Web media
> and more specifically about the Encrypted Media Extensions specification --
> in ongoing discussions on the public-html-* lists and in the Restricted
> Media Community Group and through postings to the W3C blog and elsewhere.
>
> So if you have specific questions on this topic to ask of representatives
> from W3C member organizations or from the W3C staff, the public-html and
> the public-restrictedmedia@w3.org mailing lists are good places to ask.

I believe the discussions on the restricted media mailing list in the
last week have pretty much answered my questions, thanks.

Best regards,

Catherine

--
Catherine Roy