Re: CfC: remove Microdata from HTML 5.0, remove JS API, continue HTML Microdata as a separate spec

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 23:10:20 +0400, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
wrote:

> Preface:
>
> The purpose of this email is to confirm the consensus that appeared to
> arise out of the 27 June telecon concerning topic of HTML Microdata. The
> relevant portion of the minutes can be found at:
>
>    http://www.w3.org/2013/06/27-html-wg-minutes.html#item05
>
> Our read is that Charles can now live with the "remove all references to
> Microdata from the HTML 5.0 CR draft" portion of the CfC below, allowing
> that part to proceed.

Hmm. If we produce an extension spec, it might actually be necessary to
have some references in the HTML specification as hooks, but otherwise I
am happy with this.

> Our read is that Charles can now live with Microdata as a separate
> document, which represents a change from the original CfC on this topic
> (below).

Yes. (The major reason for blending it into an HTML spec is an attempt to
make Robin do the editing work, )

>  We still would need work to proceed on establishing exit criteria and
> assessing the document relative to that exit criteria (removing the JS
> portion could be seen as a part of that effort). Unless we get
> volunteers to do that, we should make it clear that the ultimate
> disposition of this document will be as a "tombstone" W3C note.

Yep.

> Finally, as we don't have consensus on what to do with 5.1, we suggest
> that this work be allowed to proceed via editors' discretion for now.
>
> . . .
>
> With that understanding, this is a Call for Consensus (CfC) to:
>
> a) to remove all references to Microdata from the HTML 5.0 CR draft,

Modulo the note above, agreed.

> b) to remove the Javascript API from the Microdata spec, and

Agreed.

> c) to publish the separate "HTML Microdata" document as an extension
> spec (iff editorial resources can be found).

Agreed.

cheers

Chaals