Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

I'll state up front that I share some of Tab's distaste for DRM. I do think
that it is a technology whose lifespan is hopefully limited; as we saw with
audio I hope we will one day see video being most commonly distributed
without DRM. However, if and when this change comes about, it will come on
its own schedule and not because of this group, and I do not think it is
wise for us to leave the web crippled (compared to native platforms) in the
meanwhile. The web, especially on mobile (and tablets, and ARM laptops)
does not necessarily have the "flash fallback" that tab describes, and so
this is a problem worth us solving.

Multiple vendors are implementing and have expressed interest in having
that standardization work take place here. Google are implementing and as
an organization have invested a great deal here, Microsoft have expressed
their support, there's clear demand from customers of the web (in the sense
of content providers wishing to reach their customers, as well as end users
wishing to obtain the content the providers are trying to make accessible
given the contractual constraints under which they operate). I don't think
we're going to have a problem getting the required multiple independent
implementations.

Is this going to encourage what Hixie calls "proprietary plugins"? I could
be petty and debate semantics, but ultimately I think that it's close
enough to say "yes, one will not be able to download the source of one of
these modules, tweak it, compile it, and have it work in the most likely
ecosystem to emerge from this effort." While unfortunate, that's hardly a
first (see the <object> and <applet> tags of days past). I can only hope
that while it will still leave us with what Hixie calls "proprietary
plugins", they will be smaller in nature, and let us leverage more of the
work we've done in HTML and in browsers as opposed to shelling out the
entire end-to-end stack to a plugin. If we are not to be rid of
"proprietary plugins" let us at least have smaller, more focused
proprietary plugins with a smaller surface area.

We can either sit in our admittedly morally-comfortable sandbox as we watch
our relevance fade (either because the web loses to a more capable native
platform, or because this work and implementation proceed outside of W3C),
or we can hold our noses a bit and try to ensure that if this is something
we have to do, we at least do it in the best way possible. We can ensure
that as much as possible is interoperable. We can ensure that users of the
mobile web and of different architectures have a better chance of accessing
the full amount of content available on the web. I do not believe this is
"antithetical to (W3C's) core tenets".

I personally support advancing this to FPWD, and believe that we need to
not let our hopes for a perfect world prevent us from making any progress
and finding ourselves in a worse place with even less influence over the
direction.

-Ian