Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> I've a suspicion that making it a hard requirement is more likely to cause
> the registry to remain empty than to influence the DRM vendors to
> publishing the information. It's the DRM vendors that you need to convince.

If no DRM vendor wants to make that sort of commitment to interoperability,
I think it would be helpful for the Web standards community to know that. I
think that information would inform the discussion of whether the W3C
should support EME.

There's also a bit of a definitional problem: what about DRM components
> that just ship as part of an application ? How do you define the
> requirements for them to be included in such a registry ? Wouldn't it seem
> unfair if one product that ships to free everyone in some platform or OS
> (and so is widely available) has to jump through certain hoops that another
> that application developers have to pay to integrate doesn't ? Wouldn't
> that actually discourage freely shipping such platform components ?

I think we could place these requirements on "products that application
developers have to pay to integrate" too.

Still, I expect that the interop phase of this standard - if it goes ahead
> - will be much easier if the specifications and APIs mentioned above exist
> and so I very much encourage their publication.

Good. I just don't think EME should proceed until we have something here.

I know that you (Netflix) are not a DRM vendor. That is exactly why I
object to EME being used as a whitewashing device that frees DRM vendors
from having to participate in the standards process in any way.

Rob
--
Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the
Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority