Re: CfC: to publish "The picture element" specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On Monday, 4 February 2013 at 12:39, Bruce Lawson wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 12:30:29 -0000, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com (mailto:w3c@marcosc.com)> wrote:
>

> > On Monday, 4 February 2013 at 11:59, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> > > I do wonder whether reusing <source> is a good idea or whether it
> > > should just be something different for images...
> >

> > I wondered the same. But advice I got from different people was to resue
> > existing elements instead of inventing new ones.
>

> It seems to me (speaking personally rather than for Opera) that
> conceptually there is no difference between <source> that chooses a source
> file for <video>/ <audio> depending on a media query, and a mechanism that
> chooses a source file for a responsive image element depending on a media
> query. So it feels to me that minting a new element for authors to get to
> grips with because of implementation/ specification complexity violates
> the priority of constituencies.

Correct. The problem is adding srcset to <source> because the attribute then it becomes <picture> specific (i.e., <video|audio><source srcset> is meaningless, and may be confusing because it works in one context (picture) but not others (video|audio)). I don't like that personally, unless we are going to make a case for responsive video and responsive audio :)