Re: CfC: to publish "The picture element" specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> The reason we have not been able to merge the two is that srcset is
> specified in such a way that it is tightly bound to HTMLImageElement
> (meaning we can't reuse it with <source>); and the source element is
> tightly bound with media elements (audio and video), meaning we can't use
> it with <picture> without rewriting that part of HTML5. Because of the way
> HTML5 has been written (there is always an explicit tight coupling between
> algorithms, concepts, and elements - which is great for clarity), there is
> no simple way to reuse components from HTML5 in extension specifications
> such as <picture>.

Sure there is. You just need to say which parts of the HTML5 spec you are
replacing or extending. I do wonder whether reusing <source> is a good idea
or whether it should just be something different for images...

Silvia.