Re: CfC: to publish "The picture element" specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

[- <public-respimg@w3.org>, <public-pua@w3.org> ; posting to multiple lists
fragments email threads and is frowned upon]

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Fred Andrews <fredandw@live.com> wrote:

> Section 8 'Adaptive images' of the srcset proposal appears inconsistent
> with the intent of the proposal.  There are examples using the srcset as a
> viewport media query to select between images.  Perhaps just remove this
> section.
>

> I agree that this section should be modified to accommodate the use of
> `srcset` with `<picture>`.

What I am hearing from the discussions is that the 'srcset' and the
<picture> proposal are not alternatives but work best in combination. Is
this correct?

If so, I would suggest the authors of both specifications to get together
and write a single extension specification that includes the motivation for
responsive image design, explains both approaches, their specifications,
and examples on when to use what. As a Web author and browser developer I'd
much prefer dealing with a single document for responsive images than two
or now even three.

If this is not possible, I'd like to know the reasons. Thanks.

Regards,
Silvia.