Re: Proposal for action Re: Call for Consensus (CfC): Comments on the MSE CR

On 11 December 2015 at 17:58, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com> wrote:
> I really dont want to have the longdesc debate again, do you?  It is a W3C
> recommendation.  It is part of HTML5.  It satisfies the requirements for
> this particular problem.  They should use it.

The "pretty abysmal" level of support for longdesc is a pretty
convincing reason not to use it, isn't it?

https://twitter.com/jared_w_smith/status/639533682982653952

There's a pull request to bring the WAI tutorial page on complex
images up to date, including adding a warning about the current level
of support for longdesc:

https://github.com/w3c/wai-tutorials/issues/330

Once that's done we could just reference this page:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/images/complex/

This seems to be a great way to use WAI's WCAG tutorial pages, and it
would allow spec editors to assess for themselves whether they should
use longdesc, or a widely-supported technique.

-Matt