Re: Action-1715: figure role

Hi Rich will follow up on this next week when I am back from vacation.

There has been some discussion of late around the current mapping for
figure/figcaption and how appropriate it is for the figcaption to be the
label for the figure. This has brought me back to considering the need for
a caption role for figcaption.

On Monday, 31 August 2015, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I have an action to get with you to get agreement on on a new ARIA Figure
> role. We need this for SVG Accessibility as we need a mechanism to isolate
> figures that could be pulled into a list of figures by assistive
> technologies. Since we are doing this for ARIA and SVG  we would also like
> to reuse it for HTML. Please look at the following text and let me know if
> this definition would be sufficient so that HTML could use this role as the
> default native host language semantics for the figure role.
>

> figure
>
>    A perceivable section of content which supports the main document, and
>    should be easily locatable regardless of its position in the layout. A
>    figure may contain a graphical document, an image, or other content such as
>    code snippets or example text. A figure should be referenced from the main
>    text but does not need to be displayed directly where it is referenced.
>
>    A figure MAY have an associate label or caption, or an associated
>    description.
>
>    *Assistive technologies*
>    <http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#dfn-assistive-technologies>
>     *SHOULD* enable users to quickly navigate to figures. Mainstream *user
>    agents*
>    <http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#dfn-user-agent> *MAY* enable
>    users to quickly navigate to figures.
>

> The figure role would be a subclass of role section.
>
> Name From: Author
> Accessible Name Required: False
>
> Cheers,
> Rich