Re: ALT document as a note

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 05:16:39 -0400
Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:

> Liam R E Quin writes:
> > I've edited
> > http://rawgit.com/w3c/alt-techniques/master/index.html
> > rather lightly to turn it into a WG Note.
>
> Liam, Do you have a URI for the edited final that we can look at during
> today's call?

I am not sure I understand the question - the URI I gave is for the WG Note version, I edited it in-place to change WD to NOTE.

Paul also pointed out that ReSpec had put a link to the wrong version of the W3C Process into the draft; I can fix that, along with any "this version" URI, when we publish on www.w3.org/TR.

I do have some comments on the spec itself - the biggest is that some of the alt text examples use text that's much too long to be read by people who are sighted, since the browser will in most cases know the width and height of the image and truncate the alt text to the given width, or will use a tooltip that will be formatted to a single unscrollable line on screen, and the next biggest being that the spec needs to talk about longdesc. I'd be really irritated at a Web site that made me read through text like "this image shows two people sitting down" even when the image had actually loaded, as per one of the examples in the note.

Liam