Re: TF response to your comments on HTML5 Image Description Extension (longdesc)

From: Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 12:45:51 -0400
To: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>, public-html-a11y@w3.org
CC: Alex PiƱeiro <apinheiro@igalia.com>
On 09/04/2014 09:42 AM, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
> I believe that we could make an editorial clarification, and I believe
> that would be a useful thing to do. A suggestion for text following the
> requirement:
>
> Note that while in some cases this will allow user agents to present the
> description, there will be cases where user agents can not or do not
> restrict the information presented to the container element.
>
> What do you (and the rest of the Task Force) think?

We think that such a clarification would be a notable improvement to the
current specification text. We accept it as written with gratitude.

If we were to suggest a minor change, it would be:

    s/do not restrict/do not automatically restrict/

The reason being, were an author to take appropriate means, such as
using aria-hidden="true" as per the W3C specification, assistive
technologies such as Orca would then restrict presentation. Note that we
do not expect, or even want, that level of detail to be added to the
clarification text. But the fact that authors could use fragments and
still achieve the results of restricting presentation is possible. It
simply won't JustWork(tm) without authors taking an additional step.

Having said that, feel free to ignore the suggested insertion of
"automatically". We're happy with the clarification as written.

Thank you again for your time and attention to our concerns.
--Joanmarie and Alejandro