Re: clarification sought on publishing alt text document as a WG note

On 14 October 2014 22:26, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> Adding a note about the fact that Web browsers may truncate an alt
> atribute value when rendered, to fit it into space reserved into an image

I would suggest more testing and needs to be conducted as adding a note as
you suggest is not helpful as it oversimplifies the observed behaviours of
browsers for display of images when images are disabled or unavailable.

here is some 4 year old analysis, testing and data
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2010/01/alt-and-title-content-display-in-popular-browsers/
http://files.paciellogroup.com/blogmisc/HTML5/alt-tests/screenshots.html
http://files.paciellogroup.com/blogmisc/HTML5/alt-tests/alt-examples.html

I started looking into browser behaviour again more recently I have
observed that Chrome does not display alt text for *any* images when images
are disabled through browser settings.

--

Regards

SteveF