Re: clarification sought on publishing alt text document as a WG note

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 22:52:45 +0100
To: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On 14 October 2014 22:26, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> Adding a note about the fact that Web browsers may truncate an alt
> atribute value when rendered, to fit it into space reserved into an image

I would suggest more testing and needs to be conducted as adding a note as
you suggest is not helpful as it oversimplifies the observed behaviours of
browsers for display of images when images are disabled or unavailable.

here is some 4 year old analysis, testing and data
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2010/01/alt-and-title-content-display-in-popular-browsers/
http://files.paciellogroup.com/blogmisc/HTML5/alt-tests/screenshots.html
http://files.paciellogroup.com/blogmisc/HTML5/alt-tests/alt-examples.html

I started looking into browser behaviour again more recently I have
observed that Chrome does not display alt text for *any* images when images
are disabled through browser settings.

--

Regards

SteveF